14 May 2013

Dreamlike Shortbread

Shortbread biscuit
I wanted something quick and very easy to do this week, so I chose these. Dreamlike Shortbread. I had a lot of errands to get through this weekend and one of them was to get en edge-trimmer for our lawn. The other-half has taken up the chore of mowing the grass occasionally; I think to get out of doing house-chores. The grass gets cut with the mower, but he can never get round the lawn’s edges close enough and it ends up looking spiky like Bart Simpson’s head.

So, we get home with the edge-trimmer, thinking we can just plug it and go, but oh no, there’s some small amount of assembly to do. To the instruction manual we go, only to find pictorial instructions which can be interpreted any which way but the right way. Why can't I have words? Why do they do that? I want words AND pictures! Needless to say it took much longer to assemble this thing than it should have. People, please – I have limited time for gardening.

With only five ingredients, your preparation for this shortbread is half done. My little head got distracted by one of the ingredients, though – Rice Flour. I had never baked with this before, but luckily found a bag in Sainsburys (in their gluten-free section). As this recipe only uses 60 grams, God knows what I'm gonna do with the rest of it! Any ideas? Answers on a postcard please. (or in the comments box below  :-)

Dreamlike Shortbread biscuit Lorraine Pascale
 (By the way, they're called 'Dreamlike' because they are. They were buttery, crumbly and melt-in-the-mouth, yummy, get the picture?)

 
Dreamlike Shortbread
From Lorraine Pascale | Baking Made Easy

130g/4½oz butter, softened
60g/2½oz caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
130g/4½oz plain flour
60g/2½oz rice flour
pinch of salt


Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the plain flour, rice flour and salt, and stir well until the mixture is smooth and uniform. (I find it easiest to keep pressing the mixture against the side of the bowl to mix it.)

Bring the mixture together and press into a 20cm/8in loose-bottomed cake tin, smoothing it with the back of a spoon. Crimp the edges by pressing with the tips of two fingers, then score into eight pieces with a knife and prick each triangle three times with a fork. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.

Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.

Remove the shortbread from the fridge and bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes, or until pale golden-brown.

Remove the shortbread from the oven and sprinkle over some caster sugar. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes before removing it from the tin and cooling on a wire rack.

2 comments :

  1. I once made this exact shortbread and was so pleased with the results! lorraine never lets us down !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree; I have used various recipes, some old, some new and this is by far the best!

    ReplyDelete

B' loves comments!

When I find a new favorite thing, I keep going back to it. New favourite shoes will get worn everyday; favourite nail polish, will g...

Back to Top